Thursday, July 24, 2014

PAW: Week Zero

I call it Week 0 since I had decided that I was going to start this project and make something for my expectant friend. So this is kinda a gimme. Yay me!

Let me start off by saying that I am so stoked she is having a little girl! I love little boys, too, don't get me wrong. My nephew is the greatest kid I know. But, aside from sewing him a fun costume, boys clothes are basically pants and t-shirts. The creativity comes in with the styling, but the patterns aren't that different. Girls patterns have a lot of pieces and techniques that make them more challenging to create.

That being said, I saw this pattern and knew I was going to make it for someone. I mean, look at the ruffles and the little mary-janes. How adorable.

I think what really spoke to me was the fabric on the package. It isn't overtly girl-y and looked modern. I ended up choosing to make the romper with limited ruffles on the rear, more of a playsuit if you will. But, the tiny bows kill me.

Fabric choice was critical. I was making this for a friend, after all. Ultimately, I ended up with a great cotton quilting fabric. It was a nice non-traditional girls color with great floral. I knew it was perfect. One 50% off coupon later, a couple yards were mine!





So the cutting, pinning, and sewing began. Overall, it was pretty easy to put together. I had to make some adjustments so I could do some finishing with the serger to keep the woven fabric from fraying after washing and wearing. One of the things I got to do was put in snaps. I remembered the story my mom tells about putting all the snaps in our baby overalls and loving it... or at least that's how she recalls it. I'm sure it was the memory of sitting with my grandma and doing it together, not the actual process of squeezing every snap together.

It's the first time I made shoes, too. Those were tough. Keeping all those little pieces in place with sewing through them was a small challenge. I think they turned out pretty cute and I want to make more. Believe me, I have a pattern for that!






































I am so excited to see her baby in this soon, since she is due next week! I will be sure to update with a picture of her in it. I'm nervous and hope it fits (at least for longer than one wear)!

Week One is next and I already know what I'm going to make. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment