Monday, July 28, 2014

PAW.1: Hospital Gown Chic

It may, because of the post title, sound like I've got something going on. No. I just made a choice of fabric and then pattern that ended up looking a little more like a hospital gown than actual gown. After looking at this picture you will quickly see the error of my ways.

I love this fabric. It has all the great things going for it. Lightweight, subtle print, chambray! But what to make out of it. I've been sitting on it for about 6 months and was stumped. With the hot weather upon us, and wanting to make something quick (this came together in about 4 hours), I chose to make this shift dress. See, it even says "Very Easy".

I whipped this thing together, serged my edges, and even added pockets. There was some nice top-stitch detail, so I went for a little punch and made it fluorescent yellow. This was a stroke of brilliance as you will see later on. Once I tried it on, the man said it looks like a hospital gown, and I must agree, it did. Maybe a belt.











In the end, I tried a few of my belts and then remembered the fluorescent yellow belt I bought years ago. Yay! It was perfect. The dress came together and was perfect for the hot Seattle day. I gave the belt a twist to hide the buckle, but that skinny little thing pulled this out from a near disaster and waste of such a great fabric.











No comments:

Post a Comment